• Announcements

• Editing posts   11/20/2016

[EN] If you want to edit your post after 5 minutes please use "Report post" option above the post and explain what you want to be edited. [PL] Jeśli chcesz edytować swój post po 5 minutach od dodania prosimy użyć przycisku "Zgłoś post" powyżej postu i wyjaśnić co chcielibyście edytować.
    • Spam   11/21/2016

[EN] We encourage you to report posts you consider as spam or if you think that it violate forum rules. [PL] Zachęcamy do raportowania postów, które uważacie za spam lub takich, które łamią regulamin.
    • Questions   11/22/2016

If you have any question please post it in "Questions" category. Here are questions asked by Edengrad creators.

Hardcore or casual?

Question

Posted

We have a question for you concerning the complexity of quests and things like that. Do you prefer casual tasks, that is when the game guides you all the time; if a particular quest orders you to reach a particular place, then the game blocks other locations for that time, so that you are able to know where your destination is. Or maybe you prefer a more mature, hardcore gameplay that is actually not common on the market (apart from indie games, Pillars etc.), that is when an NPC informs you that you must go, for example, to a gas station at Route 180 and you must get there on your own. You also decide whether you want to do it immediately or after an X number of quests. Another example: NPC wants you to create an item for him/her. Should the workshop for making such items be somewhere nearby the Quest giver, or should we build such a workshop on our own, or find one, because there is another player who created this workshop on his/her lot.

23 answers to this question

Posted

Handmade workshop for handmade items xD

Soo.... Hardcore sounds better :)

Posted

No pain no gain :)

1 person likes this

Posted

I think you should mix both: casual (as tutorial) and hardcore for more experienced players. There is a nice way to do that. Let the player start in middle of action - maybe some war, raider attack on village or something like this. Then in some moment player can choose two paths:
1) go help people - here starts tutorial, simple quests and some starting tips. Here some locations should be closed to the end of tutorial. 
2) run away and let the village burn - hardcore mode started; player must survive without any help - all locations open

3 people like this

Posted

I personally think that most games currently lack complex systems in general and it would be very refreshing to see a game take a more "Hardcore" approach. I for one am down for more complex systems versus simple ones.

Posted

Hardcore increases longevity of the game and is risk vs reward to keep people interested

Posted

Firstly you should define which players are your targets, but imo it's possible to mix hardcores with casuals like in WoW. You can do quests with different levels of difficult: some for casuals, some for hardcores players.

Posted

I prefer hardcore gameplay, but with maps and marked points (we could get task to trip through the world and prepare map).

1 person likes this

Posted

Marked point means that is game for causal players, in my opinion it shoudl be description where it is, like " its 300m north from big white windmill or something like that. Sometimes it may be something like that " There are few cyborgs near ruined road, i dont know where exaclty  it is but it must be there, find it and bring it to me".

Posted

In my opinion, casual game means that we go straight through the line to destiny.  Your idea seems to be ok, but if I can have something, I want to have map, to mark place myself. 

1 person likes this

Posted

yeah if there is option you can make mark for yourself for 1 map it woudl be good, 

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd say that you'll want to start with smaller, easier tasks at early stages (basically a lot of the stuff around the Ark) but once you get out in the world make things significantly harder.

I really miss some of the more complex quests from earlier MMOs like Everquest and even Star Wars Galaxies.  A lot of quests in both titles were multi-part and could easily take over an hour to complete.  You don't see that much anymore.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hello! I just discovered this on Steam early access from browsing around and this game looks promising. Why? Because most "survivial zombie" games out there like Infestation, Aftermath, Day Z and many many more are NOTHING more than mindless running around empty maps and looting, only to get killed instantly by the first person who spots you, or you kill them first and then you die and lose everything and start over. Boring!!!

What is attracting me to this game is the Storyline and  rpg, mmo aspect of it combined with the survival mmo.  This is similar to a novel I started writing last year about a post apocalyptic world as well.

So to answer the question asked in the original post, I think there should be BOTH mixed in the world.  Start with easier tasks, then as you progress they get medium and harder with some hidden EPIC quests which will be hard to discover and they can grant limited rewards that only some will get to achieve and also achievements, etc.

That is what I like about Fallout 3 and 4 as well is that some quests are easy as pie and marked on the map and others you have to randomly find the place yourself or stumble across it by accident. Exploration is key.

1 person likes this

Posted

As I believe best game world could be like it was in Ultima Online "UO" (some people playing still because of WORLD in game) - control of territory, wars for in real-life action, collect of resources and many kind of craft. But 1 player - 1-2 main skills, so all people will be important. For example I made some furniture and lock boxes and cut forest.

In world of UO you could buy only some simple staff from vendor - but they are very simple. Axle, mining tools, some thing for potions.

As believe, something similar will be in Edengrad

All great staff in UO are come out from crafters together with collectors and some from boss and you can kill boss only with High craft equipment or with horde of players. But even hord of 20 players could not kill it with some simple or middle crafted weapon and armor.

So quest is good, but I think just for newbie. Main Idea of post nuke world is survive, so it is control of territory - mine, forest, food, water, collect of resources, crafting and most important communication between people. So even newbie could harvest some staff, like some simple woods for fire, that need to melt iron and need for electricity in the city.

Ammo need to be not much, so people think that they spend it. Need some hidden places, there you can put staff, that could be opened by un-hiding, by some sort of skill with 1-2 minute interruption. So also another player, that a sneak for you, could discover it, but you could not find something just by running on map and push one bottom. I have more ideas if you intrested.

I'd say that you'll want to start with smaller, easier tasks at early stages (basically a lot of the stuff around the Ark) but once you get out in the world make things significantly harder.

I really miss some of the more complex quests from earlier MMOs like Everquest and even Star Wars Galaxies.  A lot of quests in both titles were multi-part and could easily take over an hour to complete.  You don't see that much anymore.

I agree, quest must be interesting to play. Not just to collect some sort of staff from mobs.

Posted

i have to agree with raven a mix of both would probably work better in you'r favor to be honest :$ because make it to easy people get bored for example (borderlands)  make it 2 hard people will go whats the point and leave example (Dota2)    :/  unless you do a natural progression that people can follow then it wouldn't matter at what stage of the game people join in at it would be fair as it can be :)  again this is all my own view do with it as you please :) 

1 person likes this

Posted

Mixing will be great. New players must have some help with quests, but when u've completed 100 quests... Guess u must already know what and why u're doing.

Posted

Mixed. Hardcore will frighten many new players, to easy system is..just like fallout 4. Not nice.

Posted

Mixed, at least at the beginning.  Hand-holding is nice when you first start playing.  By end-game, it should definitely be all secret-squirrel hardcore death though.  :D

Posted

Hard-core. I would even make a Perma death server. 

Posted

Ye hardcore would be one thousand better missions should be not so ez to make 

Posted

Excellent question and thanks for asking the community/players!

2-coppers worth:
  • Initial tutorial walk-thru quests are helpful for new players to the game and will help them become comfortable rather than frustrated on learning the fundamentals.
  • Veteran players or those who like to explore-and-learn should have the ability to immediately turn off any tips or help quests and dive right in
  • Not all workshops or tool/craftable stations should be located in each area, if at all.  This will force players into wandering around and becoming familiar with their bearings themselves instead of always going back to central locations
  • Maps should always show points-of-interest as related to quest lines whether fetch or kill types for simple navigation reasons

Some different thoughts:

• Dynamic Quest Chains:  To change the game dynamically as a player progresses and settles in on how he/she will play, what about like notoriety based quest line(s) where if someone is pursuing a player-vs-player route and focuses on killing (maybe even exposed NPCs not just players), certain chains open up for them (vice versa for those who upkeep the law).  Maybe tie this in as triggers to the active skill systems where someone can specialize in a law giver or vigilante or criminal.
  • Death/Dropping Loot:  I have always like the concept when people die, their bodies and everything they are carrying are dropped for looting, salvaging or those who just like the taste of human flesh. *chuckles*
  • Achievements/Rewards:  I love achievements and earning titles.  I would enjoy unlocking achievements, access to specific items or skills by playing more.  Gamer's love earning things myself included.
  • Realism vs Fun:  This is important.  Keep the balance between a fun to play game and it's complexity tipping the scales toward full reality.  Games with a solid balance of encumbrance, vitals (hydration, hunger, health, stamina, environment elements), and gaming mechanics make the best whereas if a player is on a quest and they get side tracked because they are dying of thirst every 5 minutes is not fun.

SO many ideas...so little time.

Posted

The issues with most MMO's is that they rarely innovate new ideas and concepts that the target market is willing to accept.

Its a brave development team that pushed a new idea through that actually stuck.

I personally believe that dynamic progression along either the PVP or PVE route should be distinct based upon classifiers at key stages of the game.... Think FABLE.. you reach certain points in the game play where you need to make a decision, good or evil. This should be approach in a similar fashion, but also allow some diversity for casual and hardcore players alike to dabble and experiment with both sides... World of Warcraft did this to a certain degree, there quest decision trees and progressive chain quests were pretty well though out, especially when you had to be able to craft something or reach a certain level or achieve a title before the extended quest lines opened up.

One thing that should be included right now, is the ability to abandon a failed quest or difficult quest and restart it it your still within level range or the quest is a pre-requisite for a later essential quest chain.

I never got my pick axe from bob for example, so i couldn't do anything until some kind player gave me some stone to 'make' my own pick, thus allowing me to continue and level the pickaxe up.. without that i'd be seriously screwed and probably just abandon the game never to play again.

Posted

Hardcore.

Posted

A progressive balance, would be best. 

Primarily easier quest lines around the opening Shelter and increasing more difficult the further you travel into the wasteland away from civilization.

Some exceptions to keep things interesting, and multiple hidden quests, or roaming people of interest i.e merchants are always great as it encourages exploration.